Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Online Finds: Are you Gilt-y yet?



There are some style bloggers out there who might think I am coming late to the party by writing about Gilt Groupe a bazillion years after savvy fashion-lovers found out about it, but you know what, not all of us catch on to these things that fast, and I, for one, am grateful when someone leads me to something I probably should have known about but didn't. (Even if they do say "You probably already know about this but....", thus making me feel stupid for not knowing.) So, having said that:

You probably already know about this, but if you don't, you should. Gilt Groupe is a "members only" web club that alerts you to special, limited-edition sales on MAJOR designers. For example, today's sale includes:

- Marc Jacobs handbags at 50% off (granted, that still makes them about $650 each)
- Stephen Dweck Jewlery at 50% off
- Soshanna dresses at 50% off (totally affordable at about $128-$140 dollars!)

I love this for two reasons: 1) I feel somehow cooler just for having been accepted as a member... even though they accept everyone. It's as though they actually believe I am capable of owning a Marc Jacobs handbag, even though that is completely erroneous. 2) There are things on here I can legitimately afford when they are marked down 50%, which means I could snag something fabulous I would have never otherwise known I could have. I've bought dresses at Ann Taylor that cost more than $128, and now I know I could have Soshanna instead! Genius!
(Don't worry, Ann, still love you bunches).

Want in? All you have to do is apply for membership (on the website's home page). It usually processes in a few days, and then you'll get access to log an view the daily sales offerings (you can also sign up to have reminders sent to your email inbox).

You should get in now, because Gilt has something big in the works... starting soon they'll be offering the same kind of luxury sales, except on TRAVEL. You won't want to be on the outside looking in.

You can thank me later.