Thursday, August 27, 2009

Weekend Ahead: August 27-30



EAT SOME SUSHI - Enso Asian Bistro Grand Opening Celebration
Normally, a sushi dinner for me involves plastic containers from Harris Teeter (don't hate, it's really good.) But, sometimes you just crave a bit more sizzle with your sashimi. Enter Enso, the new club/lounge/gourmet sushi joint opening at EpiCentre this weekend. You can be a part of the VIP Grand Opening if you click and register here.

BREAK OUT THE TEAL - Panthers vs. Ravens Pre-Season Game
I've always loved the sound of that Panther's growl that they play every time the team does something good. I was not aware of this, but apparently the Ravens have a bird sound that is used in a similar manner. I have invited a Ravens fan to the game this Saturday, and I am quite excited about our t0-the-death sound effects battle. I do a mean impression of that Panther growl. Granted, it sounds more like a wounded tabby cat when I do it, but come on, wounded tabby has to beat bird call, right? We will find out. Stay tuned.

Saturday, August 29, 8 p.m.

ROCK OUT - Chickenfoot
I had a major block while trying to write about this concert. I couldn't get past the name. Chickenfootchickenfootchickenfoot. Surely, SURELY they could have taken .003 more seconds and come up with something better, right? I mean these guys hale from Van Halen and Red Hot Chili Peppers - they should know better. So, I looked it up on trusty wikipedia and I feel much better now, because apparently they never intended for this to be their name at all. See:
Later Anthony stated: "It was just supposed to be a bulls--- name that we’d used for a while, and then [when] the rumours spread about the band, everybody used that name so we thought, "f--- it, let’s call it Chickenfoot" - it all comes down to the music anyway."
I still wish they'd gone the extra few inches and called it something else, but at least they understand my feelings about it.

Friday, August 27 at the Uptown Amphitheatre at NC Music Factory, 7:30 p.m. Details and tickets at www.livenation.com

CRAWL THE BURBS - Ballantyne Bar Crawl
As a lifelong Southsider (Arboretum, baby!), I try my best to lure friends out to my side of town to show them that there is life south of South Park, and it's growing more and more every year. When I was growing up, Stonecrest on Rea Rd. was the outer boundary of southward development. Now, that is merely the entry gate into the wide and vast world of Ballantyne. Now you've got the opportunity to come explore the "other Charlotte", without having to worry about driving yourself home when the night is through. All you gotta is register at Town Tavern on Tryon St., and a bus will take you to a bevy of bars (with cold beer on board). If you're gonna be on my side of town, tweet at me (@jenntgrab).

Saturday, August 28, 6:30 p.m. Register uptown at Town Tavern, 200 N. Tryon St. $10.


No comments: